Thursday, August 16, 2012

Humber River Art: Part II

By Irene Fantopoulos

I took a walk over to the Humber Bridge today to see if any progress had been made since last week regarding the completion of the interactive sculpture of two squids suspended off the arch of the Bridge.  I couldn't tell if I was looking at the final product as there was a sign saying there is more to come.

Colourful globes that appear to be Christmas decorations, are threaded through the wires. I believe they depict water bubbles coming out of the mouths of the squid. That's my guess.


I wasn't sure if squids are native to the waters of Lake Ontario, so I googled it, but other than the mention of giant squid, ready for a sci-fi movie, I could find no confirmation. If anyone knows, please send a note.

Here are a few pictures of the sculpture on an overcast, humid afternoon.








I understand that there will be lights at night, but that's another trip. Perhaps Part III?







Not to be outdone by man-made art, mother nature also has beautiful gifts to bestow upon us in the final throes of August where summer's colour is at its peak.  Here is some of her art vying for attention.





No comments:

Post a Comment